sierra & michael's wedding [part 1] : field guide invitations for a costa rica wedding
This wedding was one of my best projects of 2013. And thanks to a huge spread in the current issue of Martha Stewart Weddings, I can now share these gorgeous images with you, all shot by Jen Huang.
Sierra (of Poppies & Posies floral and event design) and Michael (of Michael Stuart Catering) are good friends of mine and cherished event-world colleagues. They were married last February in Dominica, Costa Rica, a place dear to both of them and invited a small group of close friends and family to join them for a week.
It called for a unique invitation -- less of a classic announcement, and more of a welcoming experience to kick off everyone's anticipation for the special trip.
Sierra gave me free reign with the concept, so what developed was this kit of goodies and information, each piece created just for what we named "A Field Guide." It opened as a box, with all the trip essentials pinned artfully inside.
The invitation elements:
- Invitation -- gold engraving on a dark steel grey stock, listed the coordinates and key details
- Map of the region -- hand-illustrated and watercolored, then folded square and stamped with their personalized crest
- Mini compass
- Route details -- a roll-out illustrated list of each of the steps that would lead them to a final destination, jumping in the pool at the private villa
(continued in next photo)
- Field Notes pencil
- Essential (and silly) Spanish language guide -- letterpress printed on soft ivory stock with a dusty rose ink
- Blank pocket notebook -- illustrated with tropical plants and bougainvillea and printed just for their wedding (now also available in my shop!)
- Tropical spice rub -- seasonings prepared by Michael to get the flavors of the trip going before takeoff
All photography by Jen Huang.